Last week I came across an amazing idea on Six Sisters’ Stuff: 10 Slow Cooker Freezer Meals in Less Than 90 Minutes! Throughout the week I kept thinking about what a good idea that was, so I decided to give it a try. Well, after spending about 90 minutes in the kitchen this morning, my freezer is now stocked full of ten crock pot-ready meals. Six Sisters even included a printable grocery list! This is awesome, I tell you!
Julia and I went grocery shopping for everything last night. It was so strange to be at the grocery store on a Friday night, but I guess that’s how much our lives have changed lately.
I couldn’t believe how many canned goods and spice packs the recipes required, but I just followed the list. The grocery bill came to about $140, which sounds like a lot, but I was out of basically all the condiments it called for, and the meat was pretty expensive. When you figure you are getting ten meals for $140, with each meal serving 4-6 people, it works out to about $3 per serving.
These are meals I wouldn’t normally make, but I figured I would stick to these recipes because they seemed simple. Now with a fully stocked freezer there is no excuse not to have dinner ready, as long as I remember to take the meal out the night before and throw it in the crock pot!
- Start with a clean kitchen. Have all the ingredients out and ready to go.
- Label your bags before filling them up.
- Cut out the recipe and keep it by the bag. After you fill it up, staple it to the very top of the bag. That way you have the recipe on hand when you defrost and cook it.
- Six Sisters recommends putting in all the meat first. Very good idea! I started by adding the meat as I was assembling each meal, but it got too complicated with multiple hand washing breaks.
- All you need is one big bowl, a cutting board, one knife, a spatula, a few measuring spoons and a sink full of dishwater. Don’t get a lot of bowls dirty; just wash after each meal assembly. Cleanup was a breeze!
I had so much fun doing this that I think next time I will try to come up with my own freezer meal recipes and share them here! I would love your input too! Let me know if you have any easy freezer to slow cooker ideas that I can use!