Pizza with Onion Confit

pizzA1Take a crispy crust and top it with wine-sweetened onions and olives, and you have a winner of a pizza. This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe for Pizza with Onion Confit was another labor of love. I started the dough at around 11 am, and as with all breads, kept coming back to it every hour or so.  The confit was also a bit of a diva, requiring long simmering and cooling times. We were ready to eat, seven hours later, and it was worth the effort.

onions

I do love chopping onions, slicing off the ends, cutting them in half, and then making little onion rainbows.   I finished chopping the onions for the confit early, so I left them on the counter for later.  George was upstairs rocking Grant, in what turned out to be another futile attempt to get him to take a nap, when the baby suddenly startled and started bawling. As I went upstairs to check it out, a wall of onion odor hit my eyes, and soon all three of us had watery, oniony eyes. I guess onion gas or whatever it is rises.  George put the onions in the refrigerator, and soon we had a happy household.

thyme

I went to Aldi for four things for this recipe: onions, red wine vinegar, thyme, and cheese.  Like most of my Aldi trips, half of the things I needed were not there, and thyme was one of them.  I figured I’d use some dried thyme from home, but on a whim, I checked our herb garden, and it was still green and fragrant.  The other ingredient I couldn’t find at Aldi was red wine vinegar, so I substituted balsamic.

wine

I’ve mentioned before that my father-in-law owns a Wine Styles, and this is one of our favorite Cabernet Sauvingnons from there, Killer Bee.  It goes wonderfully on its own, or with any dish like pizza or steak that requires a full bodied wine.
PicMonkey CollageThe onions went through quite a metamorphosis while simmering for over an hour.  I never fully cooked off the liquid, so I used a slotted spoon to transfer the onions to the crust.  I didn’t want soggy pizza!

pizzaprepThe crust was pretty easy to roll out.  It had a wonderful soft, smooth texture.  I topped it with the onions, parmesan cheese, and olives, and slid it onto the pizza stone in the piping hot oven.  I felt like such a pro because my pizza peel actually worked and the pizza didn’t end up melted on the bottom of my oven.  Yes!

cooked pizzaDefinitely give this a try. If onions aren’t your thing, skip the confit and try the crust. I didn’t think wine-soaked onions were appropriate for toddlers, so Jules had some leftover sausage and green pepper pizza.  If you want the recipe, please visit Paul of The Boy Can Bake.  To see others’ renditions of this pizza, go to Tuesdays with Dorie. And of course, you can buy the book Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan to bake this and all TWD recipes.  Enjoy!

P.S.

birdnest2

Sorry for the shameless self-promotion, but if you made it all the way to the bottom of this post, please take a trip to my new Etsy Shop, Bountiful Creations! I have made a few cute pieces of jewelry that might be just right for that special someone, including yourself! Thanks!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Baking, Bread Box, Local Sources, Tuesdays with Dorie and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Pizza with Onion Confit

1. Reblogged this on Annette J Dunlea Irish Author and commented:
    A lovely pizza recipe from This Bountiful Backyard Blog..Thanks For Blogging This!!

2. sani panini says:

This sounds absolutely amazing!!!

3. Cakelaw says:

Your pizza looks great! I agree that the wine cooked onions were sweet and delicious – it surprised me in a good way. Love the birds nest necklace BTW.

4. Krissy says:

Very pretty pizza. I agree that this dish has great flavor and baked nicely. Enjoyed your photos.

5. Cathleen says:

This was surprisingly good! You do nice work with the jewelry. Good luck with your new Etsy shop!

6. Ruth Meyer says:

I love onions, will have to try pizza! Good luck with Etsy shop, nice birds nest jewelry.

7. Sara says:

I agree that this pizza dough is worth a try, even without the onion confit – I’m glad I made it, even though I skipped the onions! It’s a very good dough, very tasty! Nice job!

8. Patty says:

You are right, even if you don’t like onions, the dough is easy to made. Good luck with your shop.

9. SandraM says:

I bet your onion confit was good with balsamic. I might have to try it again with that instead of the red wine vinegar! The onions had me crying too!
    Great job on the pizza.

10. melimelocooks says:

Your pizza looks nice! I enjoyed this recipe too, the onion confit was lovely, it’s definitely a keeper with different uses!! Great job!!!

11. Your pizza looks wonderful and I enjoyed your post. I am off to see your new Etsy Shop! Hey — if we don’t blow our own horn, who will? Blessings, Catherine

12. saucygander says:

The onions had me in tears too, but hey, anything for good food. I’d be interested to try the confit with balsamic vinegar. The crust looks great!

13. Wow! Your pizza looks amazing!
    (Beautiful necklace!)

14. Lauren says:

Your pizza looks delicious. I backed out of this week’s TWD because of a hectic schedule and onion (???) pizza didn’t sound that great. Your pictures suggest otherwise! Maybe I’ll have to give it a try on one of our catch up days

15. Great pizza! Yes, the onion confit was surprisingly delicious.

16. teaandscones says:

Balsamic vinegar sounds wonderful with the onions.

17. Cher says:

I received a couple complaints in our house about the onions cooking too :-(
    And that moment when the pizza makes it on to the stone always feels like a triumph!

Your comments make my day! Please share!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s