I have developed a bit of a jewelry making addiction recently. I arrived at this state because Mr. Grant has not been sleeping well at night, so while rocking him, I have been using my Kindle to watch You Tube videos on jewelry making. That’s kind of a strange thing, I know.
During one all-nighter, I found a tutorial for making button rings, but it was in French. Unfortunately, my intermediate French skills were of no use for understanding the verbal instructions, but the video images were self-explanatory.
Well, I just happened to have recently I bought about fifty vintage-looking shiny gold buttons on Etsy. No, seriously. Another side effect of a jewelry-making addiction is an Etsy and Ebay jewelry-supply-buying addiction). Long story short, I have been making lots of wire wrapped rings in my spare time.
They are easy to make once you get the hang of them, and they are so eye-catching. I love how each one is different.
1. Gather your supplies. You’ll need a jewelry mandrel, flat nosed pliers, wire cutters,about a foot of 20-gauge artists wire, and a button with a shaft.
2. String the button, leaving about four inches on one side.
3. Using the long end of the wire, thread it through the shaft three times, creating three wide loops.
4. Slide the ring on the mandrel to the desired size (you could also use a dry erase marker) and PULL.
5. Take the ring off the mandrel. Use the shorter end to wrap around the bottom of the button. Wrap until there is about an inch and a half left. Do the same for the other side of the wire.
6. Using your fingers and/or flat nosed pliers, make three or four loops around the side of the button. Symmetry is key here. Be sure you have the same number of loops on each side so it looks nice.
7. End the loop on the top of the ring. You might have to do some snipping if it doesn’t work out right. You want the end of the wire on top so that it doesn’t snag your skin. Use the flat nosed pliers to push down the wire to prevent any snagging.
What? You don’t feel like making this, but you think it is oh so pretty? Why thank you! Do you want to own one or three anyway? Well, do keep reading!
If you would like to own a set of these lovely rings, I have them available on my new Etsy Shop, Bountiful Creations! You can go to my shop by following the link, the button on the sidebar, or the “shop” feature under my blog’s banner. Pretty fancy, huh?
I’m so excited to start this adventure. Please don’t feel obligated to buy! I have just made so much jewelry lately, I figured I’d see if I could sell any of it. I’m planning to put other items besides jewelry on there in the future, depending on what creative “phases” I go through. Thanks for reading!