TWD: Whole Wheat Loaves

Julia Child said, “how can a nation be called great if its bread tastes like kleenex?”  Is our bread really a reflection of our nation?  Does a country lack heart and soul because it eats bland bread?  Maybe, but when we take time to savor our bread, to think about where each ingredient comes from, to eat consciously, that is when we can develop a food culture that is reflective of those values.  Eating a sandwich made out of white “fortified” bread that tastes like kleenex is a whole different experience than enjoying a sandwich with bread made from scratch with whole grains.

I love bread, and have made most of our bread from scratch for the last four years.  I find such satisfaction out of knowing that I’m feeding my family bread made with my own hands (or bread machine.)

I enjoyed making this Tuesdays with Dorie recipe for Whole Wheat Loaves over the weekend.  It was very basic and uncomplicated, and I even squealed with delight as the bread actually rose over the pan for once.

This is diet bread because the hole must save at least 40 calories per slice!

I did get a strange hole in the middle of one of the loaves.  Maybe some of you bakers can explain that one to me.

If you would like the recipe for this bread, and I highly recommend it, visit Veggie Num Nums or The Family That Bakes Together.  Or, you could buy the book, Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan.  Visit Tuesdays with Dorie to see other renditions of this recipe.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Baking, Bread Box, Tuesdays with Dorie and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to TWD: Whole Wheat Loaves

1. I got an odd hole near the bottom of one of my loaves. I’m thinking it’s from a seam that didn’t stay pinched closed.

2. Teresa says:

I love what you had to say in your first paragraph – great quotation from Julia! We don’t eat much bread (since my partner has celiac disease), but if we did, I’d want to make most of it.

3. smarkies says:

I love that quote from Julia Child. It’s one of the reasons I bake bread. :)
    Yours turned out great – hole and all!

4. Ckay says:

Sorry I cannot explain the hole, but it looks cute!
    You could put some filling in there and slice it with the bread, if it happens again.
    This is my favourite recipe from the book so far. Such a versatile bread is a dream!
    We had it toasted and not-toasted with butter and honey or butter and jam,
    we use it for sandwiches or anytime we like to eat bread.

5. Cher says:

Beautifully done – hole or not :-)
    Much better than a kleenex!

6. cindy says:

I often get the ‘tunnel’ in my bread too, but it still tastes yummy.

7. That Skinny Chick Can Bake posted that her friend Eva says the hole comes from the dough not being quite sticky enough when the layers are folded. Eva says she lightly pats water between the layers to make it sticky…. makes sense. Blessings, Catherine http://www.praycookblog.com

8. oven chaos says:

Maybe pitch the hole bread recipe to WW – we could only imagine how it would be marketed :) Enjoyed reading your post!

9. Loved your quote from Julia Child, she definitely said it like it is. The air hole is sometimes created when you use the folding technique called for in this recipe, and then the folded layers don’t connect. But think of it this way – it makes a space for a savory or sweet filling, i.e cream cheese with herbs and spices?

Your comments make my day! Please share!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s