Tuesdays with Dorie: Berry Galette

This month’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was something I’ve been wanting to make for a few months now.  The photograph of it in the cookbook, Baking with Julia, kept catching my eye as I paged through the book because of the rustic crust and simple filling.

As usual, I had my helper ready to pitch in. I had to include this photo of my freshly-tubbied, jammied-up, toe nail polished, tutu-ed Julia.  She has started to assert her independence lately by choosing her own outfits. Lately it’s either the tutu or her Kiss Me I’m Irish tee shirt!

The dough was interesting because it calls for corn meal and sour cream. I couldn’t really imagine what that kind of dough would taste like. Instead of using a food processor, I used my stand mixer to combine the dough ingredients.  I divided up the dough and refrigerated it for five hours.

We used raspberries and blueberries for this recipe. They were on sale at the grocery store.  I wish I could say I picked them in my backyard.  Maybe next year?

The dessert is so simple to make once the dough is rolled out.  Just add a few handfuls of berries,  a sprinkle of sugar, a drizzle of honey.  Throw it in the oven, and…

A simple dessert is born!  Tragically we were out of ice cream, but George suggested to sprinkle powdered sugar on top to assuage the tartness of the berries.

So many times in life, the simple things are the best.

Since this recipe uses only half of the galette dough, the book recommends trying the rest of the dough on a savory tomato and cheese galette.  I used an heirloom tomato that I bought at the farmer’s market this past Sunday, some basil from my garden, and parmesan and mozzarella cheese to create my version of this recipe.

I haven’t had a chance to try this yet, but it smells delicious!

If you’re interested in the Berry Galette recipe, visit Lisa of Tomato Thymes in the Kitchen and Garden, or visit Andrea of The Kitchen Lioness.  If you really like the looks of these recipes, you could buy the book, Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan.

Baby Update!

Today was my first day home alone with two kids, and I survived! I even folded laundry and vacuumed the carpet.  After I was done vacuuming, Julia said, “Thanks for cleaning the carpet Mommy.  It looks good!”  She must have heard me thanking George for vacuuming at some point during these last two weeks that he’s been off work, helping care for the two kids and me. Either that or she’s remarkably polite and observant.

Throughout the past two weeks, George has been so helpful, that I’ve been wondering how I could manage this on my own.  I was grateful for his help, but ready to give it a try on my own.  Turns out it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  Of course it’s only been one day.  There were definitely moments when both kids needed something at the same time.  Interestingly, Julia seems to time her need to go potty with Grant’s need to nurse, but we got through it.  My teacher self kicked in, and I was able to sort of prioritize what needed to be done and how.  I don’t want to sound overconfident.  I know there will be many crazy moments in the future, but it will be fine.  I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s adventure:  The Library!  Wish us luck :)

About these ads
This entry was posted in Baking, Coffee Break, Toddler-Approved, Tuesdays with Dorie, Updates and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie: Berry Galette

1. Mommy’s helper is adorable. Your tomato rendition looks good…

Carmen

2. bevwinchester says:

Both galettes look totally scrumptious & your daughter is too adorable!

3. Your helper is adorable! And so are your galettes! The tomato cheese idea is perfect for this dough. Nice pics.

4. Judy says:

Both of your galettes look beautiful and your helper is very cute. I remember being home with a toddler and newborn. It was hectic, but wonderful. Enjoy.

5. cindy says:

You sous chef is too cute! I had four kids in 5 years. Yes, crazy! Routine, routine, routine saved the day and a really good sitter that I could call if I needed a break. And early bedtimes were a must.But kids grow fast so take every opportunity to love them. Good luck.
    I’m anxious how you savory tart turned out.

• Four kids in five years? You are a super mom :) Yes, routines, schedules, consistency are key. Thankfully mom’s around, and so is a very good sitter! Thanks for the kind words!

6. Teresa says:

That face is all the review you need! Your galette looks great.

7. Cher says:

Such busy and exciting times :-) And such a sweet helper.
    Hope you are able to rest up.
    Both your galettes look beautiful.

8. cynthial1956 says:

Your galette turned out really nice. I like the tomato version also, I think my baby (she is 21) would love that version. Your little one is so cute and it is so much fun to share an adventure like this with children. Good luck finding your balance with the new baby. By the way, I have the same fiesta ware as you!

• Thanks for the kind words. I’ve had this fiesta ware (twelve settings in twelve different colors of course) since graduating college, 12 years ago. Not a single piece has broken. I love it!

9. Thanks for sharing! I am using an heirloom tomato fresh out of our garden today for the other piece of dough. Thank you for sharing all your pictures! Have a good day at the Library! Blessings, Catherine http://www.praycookblog.com

10. Joni Bratney says:

Looks like your cooking assistant approved of the baking!!! Nice pictures, both galettes look delicious.

11. doverfolks says:

We love the tutu! Gold medal for the sous chef!

12. Love the smile on your helpers face!! :) Congrats on the new baby…you will do great…routine is the key…but teachers know that right! ;)

13. Sharon says:

I enjoyed all your photos (especially of Julia) and will also try the savory version this week. Thanks for sharing!

14. Melissa says:

Kitchen helpers are the best! Especially in tutus! Your galette looks delicious. Can’t wait for your report on the tomato one. I’m going to try it with the leftover dough.

15. The tomato one looks AMAZING! Definitely have to give that a try soon!

16. NickkiT says:

You have a very cute kitchen assistant there! Your galette looks gorgeous. I like the idea of the tomato one, will have to try that!

17. ccsteimer says:

Yum! These look delicious and sound pretty easy to make. Julia looks so happy to be helping mom! Have fun at the library!

18. cookingjulia says:

Your tomato one looks amazing! Good luck with the new baby.

19. I love both the sweet and savory galettes! Gorgeous photos!

20. Pingback: Why ZipList is the Coolest Thing Ever Invented | This Bountiful Backyard

Your comments make my day! Please share!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s