Tuesdays with Dorie: Hazelnut Biscotti

Ahh! Coffee breaks! I’m currently reading The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton, an Australian author. The main character, Cassandra, travels from Australia to England to solve the mystery of her grandmother’s identity.  When Cassandra isn’t sleuthing, she is often drinking tea. Lots of tea.  Although I like tea, I’m more of a coffee drinker, but reading about Cassandra’s tea times put me in the mood for some coffee break treats.  That’s why I was enthusiastic about making these hazelnut biscotti for the Tuesdays with Dorie baking group.

Since I’m pregnant (only four weeks left!), I allow myself just one cup of coffee per day mixed with lots of milk.  Today I waited until Julia’s nap time to enjoy my coffee and biscotti.  The cookies taste delicious.  Dipped in any hot beverage, they have the perfect crispiness, and the flavor of the toasted hazelnuts is a terrific compliment to the vanilla flavor.

I followed the recipe exactly, except I didn’t blanch the hazelnuts. They were raw, but already peeled.  We bought a bag at Trader Joe’s for $5.99, and have been snacking on them for the past week.  After toasting them, I was stunned by how much better they tasted! My favorite part of the recipe was after slicing the logs of biscotti.  Just place the slices on a cooling rack and put the rack in the oven. This way you don’t have to pull them out of the oven halfway and flip them.  They get cooked on all sides. Genius!

Now I’m going to enjoy the rest of my coffee and read a few more pages while I wait for sleeping beauty to wake up.  Of course by now I’ve eaten the biscotti!

If you would like the recipe for this or any other Tuesdays with Dorie treat, buy the book Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan. For this recipe, visit Jodi, from Homemade and Wholesome and Katrina from Baking and Boys.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Baking, Books, Coffee Break, Tuesdays with Dorie and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie: Hazelnut Biscotti

1. Joni Bratney says:

Could you please bring me one of these beautiful cookies????

2. They are the perfect coffee dunking cookie! They look great, I´m glad you enjoyed them. Be well these last four weeks!

3. I totally agree, these were wonderful dipped in tea! I ate far too many! Yours look lovely

4. Cathleen says:

Fabulous photos!!! I loved the Forgotten Garden! I just finished Sarah’s Key – good read, though a tear jerker.

• Thanks! I JUST finished The Forgotten Garden this afternoon. I’ve heard of Sarah’s Key. I’ll check it out, although I don’t know if I’m up for a tear jerker.

5. Ckay says:

I’ve just got up, and the view of biscotti and coffee made my day!
    Great recipe – yummy biscotti.

6. Yup.. thats the way to have them.. dunk them in coffee!!! loved the recipe!

7. jane says:

They look great and I completely agree about the 2nd baking.

8. sanya says:

I can’t wait to try them dipped in coffee tomorrow!
    How did this not even occur to me?!
    Great looking biscotti!

9. I was planning on baking and blogging these today but our air conditoning is out and it’s going to be 100 here today, so no turning on the oven for me. Yours look super delicious – I especially love that last pic!

10. smarkies says:

they were great dunking cookies! Your’s looks delish!

11. Katrina says:

I love just eating handfuls of hazelnuts, too. They definitely taste better toasted. Great post! Thanks for baking along, I love biscotti.

12. I just finished that book. A great read. Your biscotti look fantastic. :)

13. Cassie says:

This looks not only bookish but delicious. I loved The Forgotten Garden (and picked it up while in Australia and my name is Cassandra – thought it was a sign). I hope you’re enjoying it as much as I did. And Congratulations on your upcoming baby!

14. We also really enjoyed making this recipe! Haven’t gotten around to reading “The Forgotten Garden” yet, but it is definitely on my reading list. Thanks for sharing.

15. betsy says:

These are so perfect for dunking, aren’t they! I have that book in my pile, but haven’t started it yet. I just read Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. I recommend it.

16. Teresa says:

I’m with Cassandra – one can never have too much tea! I think when I actually make a hazelnut version of these, I’ll go your route and buy them already skinned. :)

17. I can’t wait to dunk mine in coffee this morning! Thanks for sharing the tip on the already skinned hazelnuts at TJ’s.

18. Cher says:

I love that last picture with the dripping coffee coming of the end :-)
    Lovely post.

19. I think I would enjoy reading that book, since I love English mysteries. Great job on the biscotti!

Your comments make my day! Please share!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s